Monday 16 January 2017

this is me getting overly excited about a really small meet

The roster for WOGA Classic (on February 18th) was released and IT HAD RUSSIANS! Two and a half of them, to be exact. The two Baby Swans flying across the pond this time are Angelina Simakova and Ksenia Klimenko, who are both competing at the elite competition for juniors. The reason I got really excited is Klimenko, aka Ksyusha, who is currently my favorite Baby Swan. I've probably mentioned this about 100 times before, but she's gorgeous.


Just look at those lines.

Because of her young age (born in 2003), she hasn't competed internationally before, but it looks like that's about to change. Let's hope that someone in the audience appreciates true beauty and records and posts her routines on YouTube. So far it has been a pain to find quality footage of her.

Sima already has plenty of experience and plenty of typical Russian headcasing under her belt, but I'm really happy to see her too. She really underperformed at the Europeans, so hopefully she'll take this chance to really show what she can do. It's early in the season and she's a Russian junior, so probably not though...

The last half from my two and a half Russians is Irina Alexeeva. She's technically fully Russian, but since she has trained at WOGA since forever and is planning to switch nationalities, I'm only counting her as a half. She's the most advanced junior attending, so she's probably going to get quite a few gold medals.


My Chinese favorite from a few years back, Lv Jiaqi is going too and it's making me super nervous. She was an incredibly beautiful and promising junior, but disappeared completely after 2014. Now she's clearly back and I should be happy, but China usually sends their C-team to WOGA, so it doesn't look good for her at all. I'm not sure if I want to see that.

Zsofi Kovacs from Hungary is probably the most notable senior competing.

I could end this post with some classic Baby Vika at WOGA, but since I flooded the Voronin Cup post with her, let's do someone else this time. How about an 11-year-old Nailya Mustafina at WOGA Classic of 2008? She's kicking her big sister's ass with her 3 acro series.


This routine was obviously made for the 2008 code, but it would have had 6.5 difficulty in the 2016 code. Did I say she was 11? And yeah, that was Baby Rebecca Bross waiting to go on floor.

Oh, and one more thing. Someone asked me about Maria Kharenkova's status because V-Rod didn't mention her in her team announcement. I said I'm not sure, because she had an ankle injury and we haven't really heard from her since right after the Olympics and I was a bit worried because she got herself credited as a judge. But it's like Masha read my post, because she posted a few pictures of herself training. She was wearing a boot though, so either the pictures are old, or she's still not past her ankle problems. So I wrote all of this in hopes of clearing up the situation, but just ended up saying that I'm still not sure about her. Whoops. I'm such a train wreck sometimes all of the time.

2 comments:

  1. Is Nailya really Aliya's little sister? I knew her sister was a gymnast, but I had no idea she was that good! What happened to her?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, she was very promising when she was young, great on floor and beam. People thought back then that she and Aliya would go to London Olympics together. She broke her femur falling off bars sometime in 2009 and her father said that it caused a mental block that she couldn't get over. She never got back to elite, but kept competing until 2013.

      Delete