Thursday 5 November 2015

Late night movie -post with the young Liz Lemon

So I had never actually seen the old '80s movie Nadia (what an oversight, I know) and had nothing to do tonight so I decided to watch it. I didn't know what to expect, except some dramatic scenes and music and terrible haircuts ('80s, you know). But I must say it was better than I expected, mostly because it was quite hilarious. Unintentionally of course.




Bela is hilarious, but not nearly as hilarious as the real Bela. He's also crazy, but not nearly as crazy as the real Bela. Marta is just not Marta, they got her completely wrong. No face grabbing, incomprehensible accent, evil eye squinting or domineering politics. She also has no power or presence, she's just Bela's very boring sidekick. The real Marta could kill her with her thumb. Maybe someone could swap her scenes with Meryl Streep's from Devil Wears Prada?

The kids are nice and I appreciate that they do actual gymnastics, but the grown up actors are terrible. Especially the incredibly awkward "Nadia". As young Liz Lemon, she would do great though. So I will call her Liz Lemon junior from now on. It makes sense then that they devoted 30 minutes of this 90 minute movie to her struggle with food. It was a bit uncomfortable, just looking at those sweaters she wore during her "fat" period made me itchy.

The competitions don't apparently have any rules whatsoever, you can just show up and compete if you like. And I don't know why, (maybe during the '80s USA was trying really hard to forget or make the public forget that Soviet Union existed) but the Romanians keep competing against Russia.

I will give this movie a special mention for seeing into the future, because these people are really bad on uneven bars. It wasn't always the real Nadia's best piece, but she won Olympic gold there and scored some perfect 10s, so there's no reason for Liz Lemon junior and her teammates to be such a tragedy. Unless they saw into the future and wanted to be accurate.

If I had to give a score for the movie, it would be 13.167 (5.8/7.367). The biggest deductions come from this dress:


This Russian gymnast (seriously?):



And the puzzle I was doing while watching the movie.



I can't complete it because it's missing a piece! Did it fall out of the box? Did my cat steal it? Did the vacuum cleaner eat it? HOW CAN A DIGITAL PUZZLE BE MISSING A PIECE?!?!? I do puzzles for relaxation and not being able to complete one isn't relaxing so I'm actually quite furious.
-----
If you want to see the movie, you can find it here on YouTube. The puzzle is not included (lucky for you).


No comments:

Post a Comment