Thursday 23 June 2016

Weekend with Grebs, Doctor Kitty and the Goddess of Gymnastics

A lot going on these past few weeks. There was Bern, two Princess Tuts, and Classics with Bogi. Afan went to see the German Miracle Doctors and Nastia and Chuso were having fun of their own... Oh, and the Rio medals were announced. I didn't like them.
-----
Grebs and his gang of girls went out to have some fun in Bern after the competition.


Queen Aliya and Afan were missing. Maybe napping? That's what Aly and I would have done. Let the youngsters who still have energy enjoy it. Or maybe they took the first flight back to Russia to see their boyfriends and have some nice down time home before the next camp. Or in Afan's case, surgery.


She had an urgent meeting with the German Miracle Doctors who have fixed many a Russian ankle. Valentina (ugh), announced that it was just a tiny clean up and she should be back before the Olympics. No Russian Cup however. And that's a cast and a drain. Plus even if it was an arthroscopy, it takes several weeks before she's back to training. I'm sure the surgery was necessary and they had the time required for recovery all calculated to the last second, but still... Rio isn't even right around the corner, it's right ahead and Afan needs to have Olympic-level floor (a leg event) ready.  Tick, tock, tick, tock...

Also, a hospital with cats? Now I know the secret of the German Miracle Doctors. They are cat doctors. Cat doctors can fix anything, I'm sure of it. Can I afford that place? My hips and knees are killing me when it's cold or it rains. But they still shouldn't allow nail polish in surgery, bad kitty, I mean, bad kitty doctor.

But back to Bern, where Princess Tut met the other Princess Tut, Tutya Yilmaz from Turkey. They've competed together many times when they were juniors (Euros, YOG) and now as seniors (European Games, Glasgow, Euros), and they still share many similarities. Mainly many skills and my love for them and their ability to frustrate me to no end with their inconsistency.

Kuva, jonka Seda Tutkhalyan (@tigrilaaa13) julkaisi

But uhm, Seda, the other Princess Tut actually hit her layout full (her form has gone down a lot though) at Euros. Get with the times already. Also, Seda too would look fierce in a black leo.


Shelgie didn't make Europeans, but was in Hannover (she competes A LOT, that girl works hard) and hit her beam routine (Seda!!!). The confidence she has is amazing. If only...


And guess who was at Classics (around 1:07:40), Svetlana Boginskaya! Look how happy Andrea Joyce is that Bogi is yelling at her.


I would probably be too. There was also this priceless moment:




I love her.

And one last thing, Nastia was hanging out with Chuso. Or Chuso was hanging out with Nastia. I'd never pick them for friends since Chuso is hilarious and Nastia is Nastia but whatever, they had fun and we can enjoy their fun via snapchat, apparently (I can't fix the placing of the images, help :D)



Sorry, that was not the last thing, I lied. I almost forgot that the Rio medals were announced.




I'm not a fan. The design is boring but whatever, it's the shape that bothers me. It might be just an optical illusion (it doesn't look quite as severe on videos), but it looks like they are thicker at the center than edges. And they're really, really smooth. I like a bigger image with a rough surface. Even on the other side with the image of Nike, it's mostly smooth. I just like the traditional coin shape, flat and chunky with defined edges and a rougher surface on the image. I'm not sure why, maybe the symbolism? Getting that medal requires years and years of hard work, it's not silky and smooth, nowhere near. I feel like the medal should represent it. 

I don't hate it anywhere near as much as the Euros medal, but this is the Olympics, the scale of the event is entirely different and everything should be perfect. Maybe I'll feel different when Aliya is happily posing with one. Nike, please let Aliya have one. Maybe even two or three. I'll love the medal then, I promise.
-----
Just an unnecessary and completely unrelated side note, but how amazing is this season of Game of Thrones? I loved the first one, was kinda "meh" with the second one, loved the third one, keep forgetting the fourth one (meh again I guess), suffered the fifth, but this one is blowing my mind. Wow. It is all coming together now and we are finally seeing where all of it was going all along (during those "meh" and insufferable seasons) and finding out those secrets we've been dying to know and I need to know everything now! I think the next book is supposed to be published before next season, but still. I need to know everything NOW. I have a feeling that I'm going to die before the last book comes out... Thank you HBO for committing to finish the series in a timely manner, at least there's that.

Sorry, I just really needed to get that out of my system. I don't have any friends, so this is the only place for gushing and venting.

No comments:

Post a Comment