Tuesday 6 February 2018

Round Lake Update: upgrades and injuries on beam

Russian Gymnastics Federation posted some training footage of the gymnasts on their instagram account. Most of it was obviously about their biggest start Aliya Mustafina, but we saw glimpses of Maria Kharenkova, Elena Eremina and Anastasia Ilyankova too. We even saw a few skills form Aliya and Masha, but the rest was only choreography and warm-ups.



I think Aliya looks like she's inching closer to her usual self, but then again, she looked great at the Nemov show months ago. And beam isn't what's going to be difficult for her comeback. I'm already dreading seeing her on bars. What if she's no good and I'm not going to like her on bars anymore? What a disaster for me, never mind Aliya.

We saw bits of Lena's choreography and most of it looked the same, the new bits looked good too. And Masha still looks like she's going to hit her head on the beam during the free aerial, so everything's the same for her too. It's actually Ilya that I'm worried about. She has spent most of the past few years struggling with some back issues and she's wearing some sort of support band, again. Or still. She's also working on a new mount. I wonder if she's planning on competing the all around at the Russian Championships? I really want her to, but I guess it's not going to be worth it with her back. Maybe it's never going to be worth it.

Seda Tutkhalyan is apparently still (or again?) shunned and didn't make it in the official footage, so she posted her own footage of her training on beam. The full is not quite there yet, but I love the new back layout mount. Such a flighty and effortless layout. I shouldn't wish that it made it into her routine because she's obviously never going to hit it in competition, but I still kind of do. Shame on me. I'm actually really waiting for nationals, we haven't seen Seda in ages with her injuries.

No comments:

Post a Comment